Thursday 10 March 2011

what publishing company would be most suited to my magazine

With my magazine publication 'Homesick' a magazine for the review and promotion of metal and hardcore predominantly UK based bands, I believe that Bauer Media would be the best company. Bauer Media has taken on magazines such as Kerrang! Which have a very similar target audience to mine, as the genres cross over. I would choose this company as they are experienced in what they do and they already have a magazine similar to my own.

Bauer Media was formed in 1875 and has established a huge following for their music magazines they produce (Q magazine was the highest selling music magazine for over 5 years so far) and Kerrang! magazine had 52,272 sales last year. i believe this company would be the best publication company for me as they have had prior experience with a magazine in a similar genre and other music magazines so i would be comfortable with them publishing my magazine.

BBC worldwide uses new technologies such as high quality glass print presses and the internet based BBC iplayer. they appeal to mass audiences with a range of publications: Good Food, Radio Times, Top Gear, Gardeners World. The wide range shows their experience in publishing many other products worldwide, but i am focusing on the UK completely. So i would not choose BBC worldwide as i am only distributing in the UK, and also after my research they have little to no music publication experience, a main factor in my decision of publishing company.

Another publishing company i researched for a choice was Conde´ Nast Publications, founded in 1909 by Conde´ Montrose Nast.  I am unfamiliar with this publication company as i am not acquainted with their publications - such as Vogue, Teen Vogue and Glamour, also Vanity Fair. these are fashion magazines which are directly opposed to my kind of genre and audience(alternative metal and not really into that fashion style) they also produce lifestyle and hobby magazines - to most of my audience, music is their hobby, and they are teen/young adults so lifestyle isnt a concern. i am not choosing Conde´ Nast publications because they have no prior experience in any of the areas that my target audience would generally also appeal to.

No comments:

Post a Comment